Saturday, February 13, 2021

Apple chutney


I remember being raised in the beautiful lush green mountains of the Kumaon region. The beautiful valley of Nainital, Uttarakhand it is home 🏠 to a variety of fruit 🍓🍑. 

The canning and fruit preservation center"Frutage " is an initiative of the 
Uttrakhand Govt to  help the local farmers
 to earn a decent living. They make the most delicious fruit jams, juices, pickles, and can 🥫 fruits .

I loved their apple 🍎🍏 Chutney.
My grandmother often tried out some of their recipes, she neatly documented,each recipe with footnotes of spices she tried, some anecdotes and stories that went when trying these out.

As a young woman I had no time to experiment with cooking,my career and raising up a kid kept me busy. I was more interested in a one 🍯 meal.

After I retired I found ample time and I decided to pull out the recipe book,now in tatters with faded ink, with a blurr , I had to put two and two together to figure out what could have been written there.

I am sharing my favourite recipe of Chutney, with my own variation.

Ingredients:
  •  Apples 1 kg
  • Sugar 3/4  cup
  • Salt to taste
  • chilly powder to taste
  • a pinch of asafoetida
  • 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp of Fenugreek seeds
  • Ginger garlic paste (optional)
  • Lemon juice,  orange juice or vinegar
  • Two to three tsp of cooking oil

Method:
  • Heat a pan
  • Add oil
  • Add mustard seeds and Fenugreek seeds let them splutter
  • Add asafoetida
  • Fry ginger garlic paste
  • Now add peeled diced apples
  • Season with salt
  • Add sugar as per your taste
  • Cook for 5_10 minutes, stirring occasionally
  • Keep mashing apples with the back of the laddle.
  • Now add lemon juice , Orange juice or vinegar
  • Adjust the salt, sugar and chilly according to your tastebuds.

Cool and bottle.
Will keep on the dining table for a week.you can refrigate upto six weeks.

Enjoy with poori,paranthe,dal chawal.

Note: I have tried the same recipe with peaches 🍑 and apricots too.

Happy cooking.








5 comments:

  1. Very good i will try it for sure ! Thanks ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are doing this blog
    I have sampled your cooking and can vouch for it. The mutton curry I had was finger lickin good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a delicious chutney always on our dining table. Quick yet healthy breakfast option. Taste amazing with parathas(indian flat bread) and surprising makes a very good sandwich filling too.

    ReplyDelete

plum cake

Ingredients: - 1 cup (225g) all-purpose flour - 1 tsp baking powder - 1/2 tsp baking soda - 1/2 tsp salt - 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon - 1/4 tsp...