Friday, February 26, 2021

Spicytreats with leftovers

2020 changed the world. Covid, pandemic and lockdown for almost over two months found people confined to their homes. It was a year of uncertainty ...

Work from home became the new culture. Students were attending online classes. Every one was at home. People started stocking up vegetables, filling kitchen cabinets with grocery.

So much food was being cooked and leftovers started finding its way into the fridge....seeing the food sitting on the fridge shelves, set me to work. I wasn't going to throw away all that good food. So I began experimenting with combining them to make delicious and healthy new dishes. 

I always found chapatis in the container.so one day I thought I would use them to make a dessert.

I remember my grandmother would break up the chapati into bits,mix ghee and sugar and we relished it. In fact every indian home has tasted Chapati Churma.


Chapati Churma

You will need:
  • Leftover chapatis
  • Some pure ghee
  • Grated jaggery or bura
  • Cardamom powder
  • Cashewnuts and coconut chips for garnish
How it's done:
In a mixer grinder put in all the ingredients except nuts . Grind till everything is fine crumble 
Dish out and garnish with nuts.

Frankie



 This is a hot favorite in our home, you can try it with your variation. I am sharing my version.

You will need:
  • Leftover chapatis
  • Green coriander chutney/Mayonnaise
  • Shredded chicken/cottage cheese/
  • Shredded cabbage, carrots, capsicum
  • Tomato sauce/Schezwan Chutney
How it's done
  • On a hot griddle warm up the chapati
  • Spread coriander chutney/mayonnaise
  • Then over that some shredded and lightly 
  • Sauteed vegetables
  • Lastly shredded chicken/cottage cheese
  • Roll and serve.
Kebabs





Kebabs originally belong to Turkey, it found its way to North India and became a delicacy .it is usually made of minced meat and gram dal, and spices. but over the years so many varieties of kebabs have been added. Today I am sharing my favorite recipe of kebabs where I have used leftover rice, some boiled potatoes, and leftover black gram.

You will need:
  •  1 cup Leftover rice
  • 2 or 3 boiled potatoes grated finely
  • 2 cups of black gram (leftover)
  • Onion finely chopped
  • Green chilies and freshly cut coriander
  • Ginger garlic paste
  • Garam masala a generous pinch
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Breadcrumbs 
How it's done:
  • In a mixer grinder
  • Add all the ingredients
  • Pulse till it's properly mashed
  • Remove into a plate
  • Grease the palms of your hands and shape them into kebabs.
  • Shallow fry on a hot griddle.

I invite my readers to share any recipe for leftovers they usually cook.
You can leave your recipes in the comment box.


No comments:

Post a Comment

plum cake

Ingredients: - 1 cup (225g) all-purpose flour - 1 tsp baking powder - 1/2 tsp baking soda - 1/2 tsp salt - 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon - 1/4 tsp...